Australian Privacy Law Handbook
Author: Jeremy Douglas-Stewart, Principal at Privacy Law Consulting Australia
The Australian Privacy Law Handbook provides a detailed guide to privacy laws and managing privacy and data security risks associated with the collection, use, disclosure and storage of personal information.
The work provides extensive coverage of laws and practical issues (view Table of Contents) in the context of specific industries and technologies, providing an all-in-one resource for lawyers and officers responsible for managing privacy within private and public sector entities. The text is written in a concise, practical style with a focus on enabling users to manage privacy risks based on legal requirements and good privacy practices.
The service includes an electronic Australian Privacy Law Handbook Bulletin (view sample), issued in conjunction with each service update, providing an in-depth and up-to-date report on developments in privacy laws and personal data management practices.
- coverage of federal and State privacy laws in private and public sectors
- Annotated Australian Privacy Principles (APPs), providing extensive commentary on the practical application of the APPs supported by demonstrative case summaries
- comprehensive guidance on developing and implementing a privacy compliance program (eg privacy audits, compliance plans, notices and policies)
- extensive practical guidance based on topic (eg outsourcing, direct marketing, data sharing)
- data security section providing guidance on taking "reasonable steps" to manage data security risks (eg physical/technical/procedural security controls) and practical issues (eg high risk practices, contractors, incident management, breach notification, data destruction)
- compliance tools (eg checklists, sample policies and template forms)
- listings of and cross-references to guidelines published by federal and State privacy commissioners
- detailed compliance manuals for Spam Act 2003 (Cth) and Workplace Surveillance Act 2005 (NSW)
- coverage of common law developments (eg duties of confidence, tort of invasion of privacy)
- Australian Privacy Law eBulletin issued in conjunction with each service update
Updates and privacy bulletins
The service is updated three times per year.
Each update is accompanied by an electronic Australian Privacy Law Bulletin providing an overview of privacy developments and commentary added to the service.
About the author
Jeremy Douglas-Stewart is Principal Consultant at Privacy Law Consulting Australia and specialises in advising and training businesses and government agencies on privacy laws and good information management practices. Jeremy has published extensively in the field of privacy laws. Jeremy was a member of the Privacy Commissioner's Consultative Group during the review of the Privacy Act in 2004/05 and of the Australian Law Reform Commission's Privacy Principles Roundtable in 2007.
A condensed Table of Contents (top two levels only) is set out below.
To view the full Table of Contents, click here (PDF, 200KB).
Annotated Privacy Principles
Annotated Australian Privacy Principles
Annotated Health Privacy Principles
State public sector privacy principles
Privacy Act 1988
Investigations by Commissioner
Privacy law reforms
Other privacy laws
Spam Act 2003 (Cth) – Guide and compliance manual
Listening and surveillance devices legislation
Workplace surveillance legislation
Workplace Surveillance Act 2005 (NSW) – Guide and compliance manual
State public sector information privacy statutes
Tort of invasion of privacy
Laws of confidence
Spent conviction schemes
Human rights charters
International privacy directives, instruments and standards
Privacy breaches and negligence claims
Media and journalism
Residential tenancy databases
Practical issues and privacy solutions
Privacy compliance plan
Privacy collection notices
Access and correction
Privacy impact assessments
Investigations – acting for a respondent
Cloud computing and shared computing services
Discovery and litigation
Direct marketing and data privacy laws
Sale, restructure or cessation of business
Corporate groups and data sharing
Newsletters and photographs
FAQs – Industry specific issues
Reasonable steps to secure information
Checklist: Data security risks and control measures
Portable storage devices
Software applications, websites, web-servers and web-hosts
Data security breaches and notification
Privacy Act 1988 (Cth)
View sample pages (PDF, 850KB)
View sample Australian Privacy Law Handbook Bulletin (PDF, 300KB)
$1,166 + GST pa
(initial folder purchase & shipping: $89 + GST, once-off charge)
$1,166 + GST pa
Annual subscription includes 3 updates and 3 update bulletins per year. Online price is for a single user/practitioner licence; POA for multi-user/practitioner and site licences. Prices subject to change.
Layout and functionality of online format
To view the layout and functionality of the online format, see Layout and functionality of online publications.
How to order
An invoice for payment will be sent following receipt of order.
Terms & Conditions: The sale of this product is subject to: